RE: Price discrimination for academic subscriptions (discussion)

> This leads me to my question:  will academia as a whole benefit more in a
> fixed price market, or a price discriminatory market?

Unfortunately this, in turn, begs an important question of its own: How
can we know whether "academia as a whole" is benefiting?  Suppose the
whole academic publishing marketplace adopts a pricing structure that
hurts small colleges, but greatly benefits large research universities?
Has "academia as a whole" been helped or hurt in that case?  How about a
pricing structure that reverses that effect, making it possible for small
and poorly-funded institutions to buy all kinds of great stuff, but
leaving large institutions unable to buy the same stuff?  How do you
evaluate the effect on "academia as a whole" in that case?

> I realize
> again that I'm posing some questions that may not be completely
> answerable, but will pose these anyway for discussion.

I think the problem with these questions isn't so much that they're
unanswerable in any absolute sense, but that they're unanswerable in the
form that you're posing them.

Rick Anderson
Director of Resource Acquisition
University of Nevada, Reno Libraries