RE: Price discrimination for academic subscriptions (discussion)

It seems to me that if the largest (and presumably wealthiest) research
libraries cannot afford to buy "core" journals any longer [see excerpt
from posting, below], that those journals have priced themselves out of
the market and can no longer be considered "core."

These extremely expensive publishers are pushing for every last cent they
can squeeze, assuming that librarians will continue to the last to hang
onto the "core."  At some point, that paradigm has to give way.  As so
many have been saying, the economics will be the ultimate driving factor.

Sue Martin