NYTimes.com Article: In DSpace, Ideas Are Forever

DSpace Article in NY Times

/Gerry

Gerry McKiernan
Spaced Librarian
Iowa State University
Ames IA 50011

gerrymck@iastate.edu
_____
In DSpace, Ideas Are Forever

August 3, 2003
By VIVIEN MARX

A number of universities are creating "institutional repositories"
designed to harness their own intellectual output.

The libraries at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology are
earnestly bookish (2.6 million volumes and 17,000 journals) but
increasingly digital (275 databases and 3,800 electronic journals). And
just as e-mail dealt a blow to snail mail, digital archives are
retooling scholarly exchange. A number of universities, from the
California Institute of Technology to M.I.T., are
creating "institutional repositories" designed to harness their own
intellectual output. M.I.T.'s archive, perhaps the most ambitious, is
called DSpace (www.dspace.org).

Scholarly Storage

Traditionally, journals make research public after peer review, which
can take months, sometimes years. Archives like DSpace, however,
collect unpublished work -- documents of any length, lecture notes,
photos, videos, computer simulations, blueprints, software -- in all
disciplines and make most of it available to anyone as soon as it's
received. .

Here to Eternity "Loss" is propelling the movement. When a grant
fizzles, when a professor resigns, retires or just buys a new computer,
work can get lost. University libraries hope to preserve this material
forever -- not exactly a common time span in the digital fast lane,
where hardware and software sunset soon after reaching the marketplace.
And unlike library stacks or hard drives, DSpace won't run out of
storage space.

"Everyone has lost something," says Ann Wolpert, director of M.I.T.
Libraries, which has designated two full-time librarians to DSpace's
dedicated computers. "We have already lost NASA data, Census data.
Early digital work is gone because tapes were corrupted or not
maintained properly."

Who Has It?

Soon after DSpace was made public last November, a federation of
universities (M.I.T., Columbia, Ohio State, Rochester, Washington and
Toronto) formed to further the system's evolution and see what it was
capable of -- for instance, the University of Toronto wants bilingual
searching. M.I.T. estimates that the free software has been downloaded
3,400 times and is aware of 100 research institutions that are
evaluating DSpace to archive their own faculty's work.

The Journal Backlash

Institutional repositories are novel in that much of their content
sidesteps academic publishers, which have come under attack from the so-
called open-access movement. Some scholars complain that journals delay
publication of research and limit the audience because of their soaring
costs. The Association of Research Libraries says library costs on
journals rose 210 percent from 1986 to 2001 -- an average year's
subscription might cost $5,000, with some as high as $15,000.

Out of frustration with journals' limitations, some scientists have
started their own archives. This fall, the new Public Library of
Science will begin making peer-reviewed articles accessible free to all
online.  Stevan Harnad, a cognitive scientist at the University of
Quebec, started a digital archive for his field in 1997. He  says that
the subscription-based model "holds peer-reviewed articles hostage."
He advocates that scholars put their work in online archives first so
it can be available immediately and free.

Jeffrey Drazen, editor in chief of The New England Journal of Medicine,
argues that his readers want information "that is highly meritorious
and rigorously reviewed so that they don't make patient treatment
decisions based on premature findings." But he acknowledges the self-
archiving movement and says the journal is rethinking its rules that
prevent it from considering material that has been made public in a
digital archive.

Archives like DSpace "build on a growing grassroots faculty practice of
posting research online," says Rick Johnson, a director of the
Scholarly Publishing and Academic Resources Coalition. He doesn't think
they are a substitute for journals but offer "the best of both worlds:
you get the work certified by a journal and the benefit that provides
for promotion and tenure. At the same time you get your work exposed
more broadly than in a journal alone."

DSpace Sampler

At M.I.T., each academic department exercises quality control and
determines what is to be sent to DSpace. Among current offerings:
working papers on campaign contributions (from the Sloan School of
Management), on amphibious assault ships for the 21st century (from the
Department of Ocean Engineering) and on traffic emissions (from the
Center for Technology, Policy and Industrial Development). M.I.T.
expects to have 5,000 items archived by the fall, and will add 7,500
theses later this year. And that, they promise, is just the beginning.

Vivien Marx is a freelance writer in Boston.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/08/03/edlife/03EDTECH.html?
ex=1060922358&ei=1&en=262cf6a5774edd97

Copyright 2003 The New York Times Company