Re: Privacy and ICOLC

Most certainly I agree with everything Heather says, especially

 On Fri, 1 Aug 2003, Heather Morrison wrote:

> The [IOCLC] Guidelines
> themselves are deliberately somewhat broad and philosophical in nature
> (like the ALA statement above), recognizing that changes in technology
> could render obsolete any specific procedural proscriptions.

Surely it is now appropriate to move to practical implementations
appropriate to the present technology in both information distribution
and the potential for violation of  basic rights. Since I do not
suggest that we will be able or willing to violate local law, this
means we must organize our operations so as to protect ourselves and
our patrons.

I am not talking only to librarians. If publishers propose to continue
to operate internationally, and still disseminate truthful and durable
information,  they too must redesign their operations.

Speaking personally,

Dr. David Goodman
Palmer School of Library and Information Science, LIU
and Princeton University.
dgoodman@princeton.edu