RE: Monopolies in publishing

--Jan, I can only guess as I no longer purchase physics journals (I'm in a
small public health library).  But I used to be, and I can offer these
possibilities.

*They "aren't the same" in that the preprint may not have yet been peer
reviewed and subject to further editing.

*One don't have a "thing" on the shelf to point to with the pride of
"ownership."

*Pressure from the academic department in question.

*"Accreditation".

The past practice of librarianship has been very much, I think, label
conscious, and some publishers have taken advantage of this in setting
their prices just as clothing manufacturers have.  Many librarians have
not yet made the paradigm shift to a "mostly electronic" library from a
"mostly paper" one.

Harvey Brenneise
Michigan Public Health Institute
hbrenne@mphi.org