RE: Monopolies in publishing

On Mark's two points:

1. I recognise that open access journals may have a peer review process.
However academics, their institutions and the funders (compare the
quinquennial Research Assessment Exercise in the UK) give more weight to
the established journals.  Whether this will change over time I do not
know.  Currently the rewards - for academics and their institutions -
follow publication in the established commercials jnls.  These journals
have an effective monopoly on validation because of recognition by the
community.

2. We pay the publishers for the validation - it is part of the package;
that the publishers do not pass such payment on is another reflection of
the weakness of the academic community.

With best wishes

David Ball
Associate Head of Academic Services