RE: Cataloguing open access

Here in Lund we have early on decided not to include the electronic
journals in our OPAC basically because of the potential workload. We are
subscribing to many of the big packages where there as you all know are
numerous changes every year and our budget doesn't allow us to increase
the staff. What we needed was a system that was as automated and flexible
as possible so we looked around and found nothing! So we created a system
ourselves. We call it ELIN@Lund (Electronic Library Information
Navigator).

>From the beginning we wanted a system that could handle all online
accessible journals independent of where the access was from, Open Access,
directly from the publisher, aggregated databases etc. and we wanted to
include the open archives as well. Another requirement was that the
article level should be searchable not only journal level. It should be
possible for end users to create alerts for searches and table of
contents. And we think we have succeeded. Currently 10 academic
institutions are using the system sharing the workload but with individual
setups allowing local branding and local holding information choosing our
own collection etc. Some libraries are adding all journal titles
regardless of medium some are linking from their ELIN@ to their OPAC where
they have the information for the paper version. Flexibility is the
keyword and the library controls all changes through an administration
tool. The end users can list all journal titles based on subject, they can
browse alphabetically or they can search for a journal title. If the end
user wants articles the UI allows them to broad or limited searches as
they please.  We don't have much external information on the system yet we
didn't prioritise that but we have a bit here
http://pluto.lub.lu.se/about/one.html.

Regards
Lotte

Lotte Jorgensen