ACRL Scholarly Communications Discussion Group: ALA Midwinter, 1/26, 2-4 PM

"Scholarly Communications: Defining the Issues, Changing the Terms"

The ACRL Scholarly Communications Discussion Group
Midwinter Meeting:

Date: Sunday, 26 January 2003

Time: 2-4 PM

Location: Boardroom, Hawthorn Suites at the Convention Center, 1100 Vine
Street

What are the key issues facing academic libraries in the area of scholarly
communications? What priorities should ACRL set for education, advocacy,
and action?

Program:

SUSAN K. MARTIN, ACRL's newly appointed visiting program officer for
scholarly communications, will discuss her role and the membership's
priorities. Martin has been charged by the ACRL Board to create tools to
assist librarians in all types of academic libraries as they deal with the
changing structures of scholarly communication. She will also serve as an
advocate for academic libraries and will work with other library and
scholarly organizations to address the issues raised by these changes and
their impacts on libraries.

BRUCE HETERICK, Director, Library Relations, JSTOR, will participate in a
question-and-answer session on:

* Authentication: How can we best balance the importance of open,
confidential access to scholarly materials with the restrictions that
current economic models require?

* Archiving of born-digital materials: what are the emerging roles of
publishers, libraries, and trusted third parties?

* Users: What have we learned about our users' changing expectations for
digital teaching and learning from the surveys recently conducted by JSTOR
and CLIR?

Please join us to share information, perspectives, and questions.

Richard Fyffe
Assistant Dean of Libraries for Scholarly Communication
University of Kansas
Watson Library 351
1425 Jayhawk Blvd.
Lawrence, KS 66045