RE: journal pricing

A good suggestion was posted by Christine Ernst Taft of Linda Hall
Library, in reply (I believe) to a post by Mr. Rollo Turner of the ASA.
The suggestion is in regards to when journal prices become available.
Because we (NASA Glenn Research Center) have to put our subscription
vendor contract out for bid each year for the following calendar year, we
begin reviewing our subscriptions in early April. The new contract has to
be in place before the end of the fiscal year, which is September 30. So
because journal prices are never available that early, we have to
incorporate an "expected" yearly percentage increase in our journal budget
planning, based on what increases have occured in previous years. I wonder
how many other libraries do this?

As I write this, Mr. Turner has not yet replied to the suggestion by Ms.
Taft about whether it might be possible for journal prices to be made
available earlier in the year, so that late payments for subscription
renewals are not so prevalent.

Melanie Long, Technical Information Supervisor
Indyne, Inc./NASA Glenn Research Center
Cleveland, OH
216-433-5763/fax: 216-433-5777
melanie.c.long@grc.nasa.gov