RE: Message from Kevin Guthrie, JSTOR's President

>From a user's perspective, I recently had the pleasure of walking into a
new academic library and being able to access most of their online
databases (the ones they have walk-in access for, obviously) without
having to ask for help, temporary usernames, looking for the special
computer, etc.  What a wonderful, welcoming experience for the public,
most of whom are likely to make use of this service only very rarely, and
what terrific public relations for the library involved.

Whatever authentication methods might be needed for the rare individuals
intent on abuse, let's not create situations that would make this kind of
experience impossible.

a purely personal opinion - Heather Morrison