RE: Message from Kevin Guthrie, JSTOR's President

Thank you Chuck for returning to the responsibility of the library to
protect the confidentiality of our patron's rights.  Whether our not our
patron cares about his or her rights, the library cannot be put in the
position of sacrificing them in name of protecting publishers against
random acts of abuse.  When they do happen, the publisher is the first to
deal with the issue, and the library has always assisted in closing
loopholes.  While the rest of our country has become infatuated with the
rhetoric of security, let us not turn our libraries into police states.

AMERICAN LIBRARY ASSOCIATION CODE OF ETHICS
http://www.ala.org/alaorg/oif/codeofethics.pdf

III.  We protect each library user's right to privacy and confidentiality
with respect to information sought or received and resources consulted,
borrowed, acquired or transmitted.

VI.  We do not advance private interests at the expense of library users,
colleagues, or our employing institutions.

--Phil Davis, pmd8@cornell.edu