Message from Kevin Guthrie, JSTOR's President (LONG)

This message is being forwarded to liblicense-l with the permission of
Kevin Guthrie of JSTOR.  It is a lengthy message and some of you, who are
JSTOR customers or publishers, will already have seen it.  Please feel
free to exercise a heavy finger on the DELETE key if so.

I asked if we could forward the item because, to my mind, the message is
not about JSTOR, though JSTOR is the example given.  It is about a much
larger and more fundamental issue, i.e., how and whether it is possible,
in these days of really sophisticated technologies and really smart
tekkies, for libraries (and third party aggregators) to know that the the
information they have licensed for their purposes is being used in the
ways we have all promised publishers that it will be used.

We could here get into an argument about whether all information should or
shouldn't be free, which would likely be unproductive.  The real issue
immediately before all of us, who have relied increasingly on IP
authentication, is whether we can strengthen that authentication or
whether it is on its final legs as we need to move to a different method
in order to keep our contractual obligations to information providers.

I write this on an afternoon when, less than an hour ago, we received a
message from another scholarly publisher (not JSTOR) saying, "It has been
brought to our attention that a proxy server from your institution is
available for public use and is allowing access to the _________ to
unauthorized users.  The server at IP address ___________is thus operating
outside of the terms of our mutual license agreement."

We expect to see increasing numbers of these notices and our IT security
staff will, of course immediately act to investigate and remove the
problem.

That said, where do we all go from here, or more to the point, how long
will it take us to get there?

Sincerely, Ann Okerson, liblicense-l moderator

PS. Should you choose to reply to this thread, which we hope you will,
please delete the long message below in your reply -- as otherwise our
listproc software will seize up once its daily quota has been met -- which
can happen very quickly under these circumstances!