Re: E-resource licensing and virtual reference

The provision of assistance is one thing, and the provision of documents
is another.

I have been willing to provide a user who contacts me by phone with a few
results from a licensed database, or possibly the conclusion from a more
extensive factual search, but I would not email an extensive bibliography
from a licensed source unless the license permitted it.

The provision of items from a journal to an outside user is interlibrary
loan, and subject to both the basic copyright restrictions and the
contract.

In judging ambigous situations, the basic principles of fair use are the
guide; perhaps they are one of the exceptional times that the (US) law
corresponds with common sense: purpose nature of the work amount effect on
the market.

One could certainly justify the provision of a single article under these
guidelines, if from a printed source. If from an electronic source, it is
necessary to honor the license wether or not we like it. Most of the
licenses I've seen restrict direct electronic transmittal of electronic
content. However, like you, I am not sure that the transmission of
text-only by email from an aggregator's collection is substantial enough
to count. I would not send pdfs even from such a collection unless I were
sure the contract permitted it.

My personal view and I am not a lawyer;  considering the work I do, maybe
I should have become one.