Elsevier Science Archiving Policy when journals are sold or transferred

Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 03:10:03 -0400
From: "Menefee, Daviess (ELS)" <D.Menefee@elsevier.com>
Subject: Elsevier Science Archiving Policy when journals are sold or
transferred

Dear Readers:

Recently there has been a concern raised regarding the archiving of
journals that have been sold between publishers or publishing agents.
David Goodman in a recent posting has provided a thorough overview of the
industry situation.  Let me try to clarify even further the perspective
from Elsevier Science.

As the need for strict archiving has become apparent to both librarians
and publishers, Elsevier has worked in its agreements with societies and
with publishers to whom titles are sold (or otherwise transferred) to
maintain non-exclusive archival rights for its ScienceDirect customers.
Success in this area, as David Goodman notes, depends often upon the
original agreements to publish and/or to publish electronically.  Where
these rights have not been originally granted, Elsevier Science has gone
back to the society or acquiring entity to try to re-negotiate these
rights on behalf of its customers.  Are we always successful?  Not 100%
but that is the goal and the company has instituted several steps in
trying to insure that everything is done to minimize any impact on
customers. Examples include raising the awareness both in our Legal Dept.
and among our publishers and also ensuring that there is no removal of
titles from ScienceDirect without a thorough review of the archiving
impact.

The importance of archiving is now taking on a more critical role as more
libraries choose to receive only the electronic format.  The publishing
industry will change with the influence of the market, namely the voices
of the customers.  Elsevier Science continues to try and influence this
change to the benefit of libraries where possible.

Daviess Menefee
Library Relations