Re: license jurisdiction related to pricing

I assume you're talking about legal jurisdiction.  For us it's a
no-brainer.  As a state institution we are required to change the wording
in any license to Alabama as opposed to whatever jurisdiction the vendor
has in the license.  This is state law as I understand it.  We've never
had a situation where the vendor refused to change the jurisdiction.  If
they ever were to refuse, we would not purchase the product - PERIOD!

Any librarian who signs off on a contract leaving jurisdiction out of
state, without getting consent of their institution, may be putting their
necks on the chopping block.  Sure, it's highly unlikely that a suit of
any sort would ever materialize.  However, if one ever did CHOP!

--
Thomas L. Williams, AHIP
Director, Biomedical Libraries and