RE: Clarification (RE: "Fair Use" Is Getting Unfair Treatment)

> While one does not
> 'own' intellectual property, ownership of the 'container' certainly (at
> least at this point in time) grants many more freedoms than leasing the
> access medium does.

More practical freedoms, yes, but not more legal freedoms.  The legal
guidelines for fair use are the same whether I want to make copies from a
book in my possession or from a database to which I have leased access.
(License agreements may restrict me further than that, of course, which is
why I must read them carefully and negotiate where appropriate.)

Rick Anderson
Director of Resource Acquisition
The University Libraries
University of Nevada, Reno      "That wasn't a Freudian slip;
1664 No. Virginia St.              it was a Jungian slip."
Reno, NV  89557                       -- Dr. Katz
PH  (775) 784-6500 x273
FX  (775) 784-1328
rickand@unr.edu