From: Rick Anderson [mailto:rickand@unr.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2002 11:38 PM
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: RE: Clarification (RE: "Fair Use" Is Getting Unfair Treatment)

> While one does not
> 'own' intellectual property, ownership of the 'container' certainly (at
> least at this point in time) grants many more freedoms than leasing the
> access medium does.

More practical freedoms, yes, but not more legal freedoms.  The legal
guidelines for fair use are the same whether I want to make copies from a
book in my possession or from a database to which I have leased access.
(License agreements may restrict me further than that, of course, which is
why I must read them carefully and negotiate where appropriate.)

Rick Anderson
rickand@unr.edu