Re: BioMed Central/SPARC Press release

Who cannot fail to be impressed by the way BioMed Central is handling its
enterprise? Mr. Tracz is a truly innovative publisher. In some circles it
is axiomatic that commercial enterprises cannot innovate, but in the STM
area much innovation has come from commercial houses, including Elsevier
e.g. the Trends journals.

My reading of this is as follows. Every learned society, with whom I have
spoken, agrees that the fee to acepted authors is too low to be viable.
Private conversations with BMC staff suggests that the enterprise will
work if and only if they achieve a really huge throughput of papers
leading to economies of scale kicking in and (crucially) advertising and
sponsorship revenue flowing in because of the numbers visiting the site. I
would be interested to learn if this understanding is incorrect.

The problem, as I see it, is that we are again producing models like the
Big Deal (remember a joint invention of librarians and publishers), which
is for the big players. If is difficult for smaller players to get
together to produce an offering of real interest to library consortia.
With the exception of BioOne I cannot think of any such collaboration.

In the Open Access case, the smaller players e.g. those supported by SPARC
need to charge more to authors and even then lose money. They will not be
able to get the economies of scale and unless they are in biomedicine they
will not get advertising support even if they got the critical mass.

This is a concise view. It is offered tentatively. Is it wrong?

Anthony Watkinson
14, Park Street,
Bladon
Woodstock
Oxfordshire
England OX20 1RW
phone +44 1993 811561 and fax +44 1993  810067