Re: Help! L'annee Philogique

Kent:  Whether one can find any state legislation (from any state)
explicitly forbidding the acceptance of French (or any other) jurisdiction
in contracts, I couldn't say.  We are not a state institution but we are
also requested/required by our University not to sign such contraqcts.
The pure and simple reason is practical:  In order for the university to
agree to governing law of a different country, we would have to study and
understand that law, i.e., we would have to develop expertise with it, and
that expertise would have to be somewhat broadly based throughout the
institution.  We would also have to be prepared to handle disputes in
another country, whether formally or informally.  We simply do not have
the staff and other resources to do this, even though we will agree to
being bound by the laws of other states (save for UCITA-enacted states),
as these are largely governed by national copyright laws and/or harmonized
contract laws that also are valid in CT.

When asked by providers in Australia, France, Germany, India, etc., etc.,
to be bound by their national law, we say that we simply cannot do this
for the very pratical and costly reasons I've noted above.  I also believe
it is not reasonable for American producers to expect this kind of
compliance (to US law) from institutions abroad.  Now, this is indeed
vexing because it adds to the costs of doing business... almost
intractable as a problem.

Sincerely, Ann Okerson
Associate University Librarian/Yale University