The Transition from Paper: Where Are We Going and How Will We Get There

Of potential interest to list members:

Full text of book available online:

The Transition from Paper: Where Are We Going and How Will We Get There?
Edited by R. Stephen Berry and Anne Simon Moffat (Published online, 2001)
by the American Academcy of Arts and Science.
http://www.amacad.org/publications/trans.htm

Chapters from several individuals well known to readers of liblicense.-see
especially chapters 10 and 11. written by our fearless moderator. All
chapters available online.

1.  Electronics and the Future of Education.  Andrew Odlyzko, AT&T Bell
Laboratories.

2.  The Changing Landscape of Academics as Affected by New Communications
Technology.  Neil Kestner, Louisiana State University.

3.  The Future of Science Textbooks. Neil Kestner.

4.  Scientific Journals of the Future.  Steven Bachrach, Trinity College,
San Antonio (formerly with Northern Illinois University).

5.  The Future(?) of Peer Review.  Thomas von Foerster, Springer-Verlag,
New York City.

6.  Management of the New Infrastructure for Electronic Publications.
Stephen R. Heller, NIST, Gaithersburg, MD (formerly with USDA).

7.  Electronic Clones vs. the Global Research Archive. Paul Ginsparg, Los
Alamos National Laboratory.

8.  Science and Science Online; Wired and HotWired.  Alexander Fowler,
[Interviews], The Electronic Frontier Foundation (formerly with the policy
division, American Association for the Advancement of Science).

9.  Electronic Conferences. Steven Bachrach.

10. Advancing the Electronic Information Marketplace Through Library
Licensing.  http://www.amacad.org/publications/trans10.htm.  Ann Okerson,
Yale University.

11. Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil? Academic Publishing,
Copyright and other Miasmas.
<http://www.amacad.org/publications/trans11.htm>. Ann Okerson.

12. The Legal Foundation for Electronic Information: How Will It Affect
Scientists? Ronald Wigington, American Chemical Society (retired).

13. Competition and Cooperation: Libraries and Publishers in the
Transition  to Electronic Scholarly Journals.  Andrew Odlyzko.

14. On 'Who Should Own Scientific Papers'.  Martin Blume, American
Physical Society.

15. The Rationale for 'Full and Open Access' of Scientific Information.
R. Stephen Berry.

16.  Impacts of the Transition.  R. Stephen Berry.