Non-IP Based Institutional Subscriptions?

What means have you worked out with publishers of online journals for
granting your patrons access to materials when IP-based access is not
workable? We have a number of institutional customers who subscribe to our
online journals but who cannot provide us with IP addresses used
exclusively by the subscribing institution. (E.g., a library whose
internet connections are passed through a proxy server that also handles
internet traffic for computers not part of the subscribing library or
campus, or an institution whose IP addresses are randomly assigned from a
pool owned by a commercial internet service provider.)

When we tell these customers that we can't register their IP addresses,
they ask for a username and password instead, but this seems to be very
insecure and easily susceptible to abuse.

Have you worked out any alternatives to IP-based or
username-password-based access to online subscriptions that have worked
well for you and the vendor?

Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions.

Evan Owens
Information Technology Manager, The University of Chicago Press
eowens@press.uchicago.edu
1427 East 60th Street, Chicago, IL 60637-2954
(773) 753 3375  Fax: (773) 753 3383