RE: PsycArticles License

> 1. When we receive a request for an article from a print journal, many
> libraries (including mine) normally send it by Ariel.

I think any publisher would be foolish to forbid Ariel transmission, given
the safeguards it affords.  I can understand restricting e-ILL via email,
but not via Ariel.

> 2. In some respects the most obnoxious part of the ILL clauses for
> electronic journals is the requirement for the lending library to send
> data to the publisher.

Agreed.  We need to try to wean publishers away from this type of
requirement.

> 3. The attempt to hold libraries responsible for the actions of their
> patrons was also dealt with for print by the Copyright law, by the notices
> placed on copies and on photocopiers. Again, it's good enough here.

Ditto.  At my institution, we never agree to be held responsible for patron
behavior.

> 4. The solution, unlikely as it may be in the present repressive legal and
> legislative climate, is for the fair use provisions of print to cover
> electronic also.

Well, that's certainly a good solution for you and me, and it's the one I
personally prefer.  But some publishers clearly disagree, and since I
don't make my living doing what they do, I'm inclined to let them decide
which risks are acceptable to them and which ones aren't.  (Though I
certainly argue with them on occasion when I think they're wrong.)

Rick Anderson
Director of Resource Acquisition
The University Libraries
University of Nevada, Reno        "All Reviews in the world
1664 No. Virginia St.              begin with the intention
Reno, NV  89557                    of being virtuous.  None
PH  (775) 784-6500 x273            have been."
FX  (775) 784-1328                   -- Gustave Flaubert
rickand@unr.edu