Re: Licence restrictions

And I thought only we had problems.

I cannot but agree with the sentiments. It is not easy to balance the need
for more journals and the need to invest in patients. When we tried to get
online access, we went through some of these problems.

I also find that the BMJ group has been very good at helping users. I wish
other publishers would have a second-look at some of their restrictive
practices.

1. The majority charge more for the third-world, even allowing for
postage. So much for their agreement with the WHO.
http://bmj.com/cgi/content/full/323/7304/0

2. One journal says online access is not available to Institutional
subscribers but only to their society members.

3. Some publishers are not open about their licensing costs and policies
and say everything is negotiable.

4. When the WHO signed an agreement regarding online access for the third
world, again BMJ Publishing led the way. All the others have made their
own interpretations of the agreement. Basically it meant that as India and
Pakistan are major subscribers to journals they have been excluded.
http://www.worldbank.org/data/databytopic/class.htm#Low_income

5. With Institution subscriptions some do not provide even IP based
access, and one has to give out the passwords to everyone, as it is a
waste to prevent those who have computers from using the access at their
convenience.

6. Some will deliver in India only through a vendor. The journal is listed
as subscribed by the vendor, who will not release the subscription number,
and the publisher will ask us to contact the vendor.

I guess we have to back the free journal movement to get publishers to
fall in line with the times, at least to improve the service to the paying
customers. The tobacco companies did not do anything till they were forced
to. http://www.publiclibraryofscience.org/

Ninan
Dr Ninan Chacko MS, MCh, FRCS (Urol)
Prof of Urology