RE: Moderating and Administrative Thoughts

It is in a buiness's interest to explain what they are doing with their
own "spin" but that doesn't mean that we can't ask aquestions about their
explanation.  A self serving explanation is better than no dialog. And
banning all "self" promotion would mean less awarness of what companies
are doing, and their own idea or at least their own explanation of "why".
We know the why--to make more money, position themselves as somehow
"unique" must have, etc.

The self-promotional bits, however, usually mean we have an in for what on
this forum at least have been some amazingly frank and open statements
from various company reps. I'm truly grateful that spokesmen from a
variety of companies have posted here. Those of you who have been at this
awhile know how very difficult it is to even know where to look for
certain types of information about practices, pricing, attitudes. If they
talk, some of that is much clearer and ultimately makes both them and us
better at what we do. The "I have to clear everything with the president
and our pr firm" before I say anything is what we had with our friends at
Gordon and Breach. Sheesh, I think lawyers must have drafted half of what
they put out. That is a good reminder to any company that is "afraid" of
having its reps explain why's from their perspectives. Of course the more
direct influence company reps. have on their own products the better their
information-and the more likely they are to provide useful dialog, and
ultimately, change...which is what all this is about from a library
perspective: Making products better and more cost effective for our users.

Chuck