Terms of Use (was click-through..)

Anthony,

This would be a wonderful message for our publishers to contemplate. I
agree absolutely that there are serious limits to our ability to convey
terms of use restrictions to our users. Although we are planning to add a
general statement to our 'gateway' resource pages, and even though such a
statement 'could' be extended to the bibliographic records for eresources,
the fact is that users rarely read such statements.

We can point them out, but we only have personal contact with a small % of
potential users. The splash screen idea at the initial journal or article
page would be a far more effective way of conveying such terms. Ideally
this might take the form of a brief, succinct statement of the most
significant expectations, because a link to a lengthy document embodying
'our terms and conditions' won't be accessed or read at all.

Carole Richter
Electronic Resources Coordinator
University of Notre Dame Libraries
(219)631-8405