RE: EBSCO and ProQuest database content

Mr. Brooks,

Thank you for taking the time to write to me.  Please be assured that I am
not anti-Ebsco.  Much of my library work has been facilitated by the
serials management functions of Ebsco.  However, I am very concerned by
Ebsco's pursuit of exclusive contracts.

If my posting about the pursuit of exclusive contracts by your competitors
was incorrect, I apologize.  However, your response does not convince me
that this the case.  You state that Gale has a "co-exclusive" contract for
Gannett newspapers.  What does that mean?  You say "other vendors" share
"semi-exclusive licenses."  Who are these other vendors?  Lexis/Elsevier?
What does "semi-exclusive" mean?

I have heard the explanation that Ebsco is the "natural partner" for
publishers before, and I have never been able to understand that logic.
If, due to budget problems, a library has to cut journal titles based on
what is available through a full text database, it doesn't matter whether
that database is from Ebsco, Gale or ProQuest.  I do not understand the
argument: "publishers are not likely to align themselves with companies
who have no financial interest in preserving and expanding their core
business: journal subscriptions."  Why not?  What can Ebsco do to stop a
library from canceling print subscriptions?

I have never heard a sales rep from your competitors ever suggest that we
cancel print journal subscriptions to fund a full text database purchase.
Never.  I have heard sales reps from Ebsco claim that your competitors do
this.  I have also heard sales reps from Ebsco, on more than one occasion,
spread unsubstantiated rumors about competitors and distribute lists of a
competitor's cancelled titles.  Sales reps from other vendors rarely
discuss a competitor's product.

Concerning my suspicion of the number of "peer-reviewed" journals, my
experience in investigating full text databases has taught me that the
term is often used indiscriminately.  It becomes difficult to compare
lists of "peer reviewed" titles between databases because each vendor
defines the term differently.  I understand that this would not be an easy
task for a vendor, and your system sounds fair.  Still, each list must be
carefully reviewed by prospective purchasers before comparing numbers of
"peer reviewed" titles.  I was only pointing out this necessity.

I would like to reemphasize my concern about exclusive contracts.  If each
database vendor pursues exclusive contracts, soon libraries will be forced
to make difficult decisions.  To support our users needs for specific
titles, we will be required to purchase all available databases.
Additionally, a vendor with exclusive rights to an important title, let's
say Lexis-Nexis/Elsevier, will be able to charge exorbitant prices for
access to these titles.  Libraries will not be able to sustain these
budgetary demands, and may have to do without these valuable information
tools.  An inability to provide the new generation of information tools
could lead to dire consequences for libraries.  I believe that it is in
the long term best interest of libraries to not encourage exclusive
contracts.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me.  I do hope that Ebsco,
a long time friend of the library community, continues to support the
goals and the future of libraries.

Sincerely,
Deborah Lenares