Re: science, AND OTHERS

I agree that even as currently available, the electronic institutional
version of Science is a very good product. My library subscribes, and will
certainly continue to. I personally recommend that every academic library
subscribe if it can, but its value is so obvious that surely almost all
libraries have done so already.

I understand that some of my comments have been misinterpreted as attacks
on the integrity of that journal, its publisher, and even some of its
staff.  If they have been read this way, I apologize to all concerned,
because that was certainly very far from my intent.

My comments on ScienceExpress have been intended to call attention to one
specific situation that, however minor in itself, has the potential for
detrimental effects if imitated or extended. (I have equal or greater
concern with questions about the completeness of the electronic versions
of ScienceDirect online journals.)

I am confident that if the publishers of the journal understood it as I
do, they would correct it. No one who knows them could possibly doubt
their good faith or good intentions. I hope those who know me recognize
mine.

David Goodman,
Biology Librarian
and Digital Resources Researcher