Spine E-Pages Questions/Discussion

[Apologies for X-Posting]

One of our patrons asked us to get an article that is only available on
Spine's ePages.  Spine 26(4):E50-E54. Feb. 15, 2001. Unfortunately, I
noticed that Spine restricts even their ePages to subscribers.  What makes
this even more frustrating is that Spine's licensing agreement prohibits
interlibrary loan of their electronic content.

Now a question I ask is how the heck are you supposed to get the article
if you don't subscribe to Spine, and a library can't technically loan it
to you?!

I know Pediatrics ePages are available to everyone on their site, whether
you are a subscriber or not.  What other journals/publishers are like
Spine restricting their ePages to subscribers only?  What other journals/
publishers are like Pediatrics and allow access to their ePages?

When publishing an e-article do authors know that their articles are being
severely restricted to only those who buy the journal?  Wouldn't this
restriction also cause a decrease in readership, leading to less people
citing the author?  We all know our doctors are VERY concerned with how
many times they have been cited and by whom.

Does anybody have any solutions?  This hoarding of ePages by Lippincott
infuriates me.  This completely inhibits scientific research.  I even
called to ask why.  I was eventually transferred to the person responsible
for electronic publishing and I was told that there is nothing he can do,
this is business and they would lose money if they made their ePages free,
and that eventually publishing will just be a pay on demand system with
credit cards.

Our library does subscribe to the print of Spine.  However, Lippincott's
restricts online access to only one specific IP address of one computer,
unless we want to pay for a site license.  We have NAT computer network,
which means that each time a computer goes through the firewall it is
randomly assigned an IP address within our IP range.  Therefore, it is
impossible to say X computer will always be X IP address.  Which leaves us
the option of an expensive site license, which we do not have.

Are there other libraries like us who have this IP situation and how are
you dealing with a publisher who says you can only have access from a
specific computer, or else buy a site license?

I appreciate any information anybody can give me and I will summarize for
the list.

Michelle Kraft
kraftm@ccf.org
Medical Librarian