COLLECTIVE MANAGEMENT OF COPYRIGHT AND NEIGHBOURING RIGHTS

** High Priority **

Good day,

I am writing to you hoping you can assist me with some information on the
above topic. South Africa is in the process of reviewing our legislation
and the Dept. of Trade and Industry is holding a workshop on 21 and 22 May
2001 to give all stakeholders the opportunity to present their position
papers on the above topic, with a view to contributing to the formulation
of the regulatory framework on how these rights should be managed. Our
institution has been invited to present a position paper on behalf of the
tertiary institutions in SA.

I would sincerely appreciate it if you could let me know your views and
those of your institution, on collective management and collection
societies for copyright royalties; problems and concerns you have with
such such management and agencies; recommendations for alternatives, if
you have any, and advice for SA on what the best framework for collection
of copyright royalties would be, etc. etc.

Any advice or comments, information or references online in this regard
would be greatly appreciated. As there is so little time to prepare this
position paper, please could you let me hear from you by no later than 15
May 2001.

Thanks so much
Denise Nicholson