FW: Ebsco Full-Text Databases Post

To include the list in an answer I sent directly to Marg Walter.

-----Original Message-----
From: Hunter, Karen (ELS-US)
To: 'Marg Walker'
Sent: 3/29/01 11:41 AM
Subject: RE: Ebsco Full-Text Databases Post

Thanks -- the trade-off right now is clearly going to be between the pros
of desk-top availability and targeted alerting services and the con of the
lack of the type of paper-based serendipity that you cite.  What that says
to me is that we have to increase the ease of browsing online, not only
within a journal but across journals.  There are tools that are
increasingly available -- the "more like this" search, for example -- but
we clearly haven't yet mastered the options.  I remember a very early
system that laid out a desktop with the covers of journals clustered in a
subdiscipline or (I think)per the personal selection of the user, the idea
being that the cover was more of a trigger than the words of the title.
That might be an idea to think about again.  We do find heavy usage of our
issue tables of contents as a browsing tool, but we have to find better
ways of reminding users of which titles to browse.

Regards,
Karen