Re: Nature Site Licenses - a temporary way around the embargo?

On March 22, 2001, I wrote:

> [Followup-Postings are probably more appropriate to liblicense-l]
>
> I have vague hints that libraries that took out a site license, actually
> may already provide a mediated access to the content embargoed for
> ip-based access under the present official license conditions, in form
> of a username/password restricted account that is issued to the library,
> and that may be presumably accessed only by library clerks or only at a
> dedicated workstation in the library. Can anyone confirm if this is
> true?
>
> If this is too delicate a matter, please feel free to write me directly
> off list. I will summarize answers for the list.
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> Regards,
> Bernd-Christoph Kaemper, Stuttgart University Library, Germany
>
> Check my list "Nature - what other libraries say",
> http://www.ub.uni-stuttgart.de/ejournals/Nature_andere_Univ.html

The few answers I received did not confirm this, and those sites which I
had in mind didn't answer. The explanation is probably contained in a
notice on the Nature Publishing Group's announcement of Feb 13, 2001:

"This superID facility is now being discontinued as of 28 February 2001,
now that site-licenses have been available for some time. [...] In
addition to this, we have identified that some institutional print
subscription numbers have also been registered for online access, although
online access is not part of the institutional print product. Again, we
have programmed this username and password mode of access to expire on 31
March 2001."

So probably this username/password access for institutional accounts which
some institutions temporarily had, is gone now.

Bernd-Christoph Kaemper, Stuttgart University Library