Blackwell Policy

Last fall we initiated a conversation with Blackwell Science (which later
included Blackwell Publishing) for their electronic journal package.
Their pricing and content are attractive.  But they just sent us the
license this month, and with it the news that their policy requires a
January - December subscription year and prohibits them from prorating.

I have a strong initial reaction to this, but insufficient experience to
judge wisely.  Do other publishers have and exercise such policies for
their electronic packages, or is Blackwell outside the norm?

-Selden
Selden Durgom Lamoureux
Serials and Electronic Resources Librarian, Acquisitions Department
CB#3938, Davis Library, University of North Carolina
Chapel Hill, NC 27514-8890 U.S.A.
phone: (919) 962-1067   Fax: (919) 962-4450
email: Selden_Lamoureux@unc.edu
url: http://www.lib.unc.edu/acq/