Re: Nature Journals: Versioning Vicissitudes

To clarify two important points:

1. The "front of the book" matter in Nature is in their case every bit as
essential--if not more so--than the rest. If they were to publish a
printed edition without it at say half price, I think they would get
exactly zero subscribers, personal or institutional.

2. When a university purchases campus wide access to a journal for all its
students and faculty to a journal, what they are buying is the use of that
content for all academic purposes by all students enrolled in all courses.
For a professor to include links to that in material for a specific course
is not a special additional benefit, but is implied by the basic license.
We need not urge other publishers to follow the example--We have been
buying this all along. I suppose the provision is included in licenses to
avoid ambiguity, but a license which prohibited it would not be a site
license in the first place.

This seems so patently obvious to me, that I would like to hear from any
publisher who disagrees. (I recognize that the situation for distance
learning may be more complicated.)

David Goodman, Princeton University Biology Library
dgoodman@princeton.edu            609-258-3235