Re: Nature Journals: User Name and Password (Super ID Access)

Sarah Stevens-Rayburn sends the following message:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 12:58:05 -0400
From: Sarah Stevens-Rayburn <library@stsci.edu>
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: Re: Nature Journals: User Name and Password (Super ID Access)

Well, I'm delighted to hear you're willing to offer discounts to individual
institutions, because your site license rates have basically priced us out
of the market.  We are a research organization run by a consortium of
universities under contract with NASA.  We cannot join consortia because we
can't have another entity negotiating prices for us.  We have an active
group of ~100 astronomers, some of whom wish we had Science available
electronically outside of the one workstation in the Library where they can
access it.  But when I explain what we've been told it would cost to allow
them desktop access, they're as appalled as I.  Online access to Science
would be nice, but not at a factor of 10 or more of what we're currently
paying for the paper and two workstations ($390).  So, what kind of discounts
are you prepared to offer?

--
Sarah Stevens-Rayburn, Librarian        email:  library@stsci.edu
Space Telescope Science Institute       telephone:  410-338-4961