Re: Nature Journals: User Name and Password (Super ID Access)

Surely, profit -- or loss -- of a publisher should not be the concern of a
librarian or subscriber (unless he or she is also a shareholder in the
publisher, which, of course, a surprisingly large number of people are, if
only via their pension funds)? Or are we seeing signs here of what is
known in the UK as the "politics of envy"? The concerns of a librarian are
1) do I provide the right breadth and level of service to my constituents,
2) do I secure enough funding to be able to do that, and 3) do I get value
for money. It is up to the publisher to make their publications and
service attractive enough to prospective customers (and to prospective
authors and advertisers) for them to take out a subscription or licence
(or submit papers, or advertise).

The publishers make their journals attractive to subscribers and licensees
by getting good papers from good authors. Research journals and their
publishers cater as much for authors as for readers (although the way the
money flows does not reflect this). Even to the point that some have
argued that publishers are more in the business of career development for
scientist than in the dissemination of information. Every published paper
carries "brownie points" for the author, the number of which is determined
to a large degree by where the journal stands in the "pecking order"
(determined by factors such as the ISI Impact Factor). It follows that the
real competition that takes place between journals and publishers is the
one for authors. If the most respected authors submit their best papers to
your journal, then you, as the publisher, are successful and likely to
make a profit. If they only come to your journal after having been
rejected a number of times elsewhere, you, as the publisher, are likely to
struggle making a profit. If a journal fails it is more often than not as
a result of lack of author support, not readers.

Nature, Science and similar publications differ from this model, of
course. They are as much magazines as journals and depend heavily on
advertisers. The journal part of these magazine-journal hybrids follows
the model most other research journals have chosen for what is the core of
their market: institutions. The magazine part (news and such), dependent
on advertisers and therefore on large numbers of subscribers, doesn't
quite fit that model and clearly presents the publishers with a dilemma
still in need of a satisfactory solution. The magazine competition is
entirely for readers and advertisers, not for authors (journalists and
correspondents are just being paid). Science and Nature have so far chosen
different approaches to deal with their magazine sides and time will tell
who has had the better one.

Johannes Velterop

Velterop von Leyden Consultancy
9 Benfleet Close