Re: Nature Journals: User Name and Password (Super ID Access)

I can reassure the publishers of Nature that other journals that have
permitted access without the sort of restriction they propose have not
lost large numbers of subscribers. I believe the rate I've been told is
that the attrition rate increases slightly, to about twice normal at most.

I can also reassure them, on the basis of talks with personal subscribers,
that people take out personal subscriptions because they want personal
copies to read. Not because they want electronic access--they expect the
library to arrange that. It's ironic that Nature, which is the one
publication that most scientists actually do read (in the conventional
sense), should be worried.

David Goodman, Princeton University Biology Library
dgoodman@princeton.edu            609-258-3235
____