Who is the subscriber

I would be interested in views from the list concerning the practice of
some publishers (we are currently talking to Elsevier) who look at all
subscriptions sent to an institution and base licenses on ALL these
titles.  As a University library system we can, with difficulty and our
fingers crossed, guarantee not to cancel the print titles which WE
subscribe to but have no way to do the same for titles bought by
"independent" departmental, research institute or hospital libraries. They
can, and do, cancel titles as grants end or research projects finish.

How are others dealing with this?

DAVID CRAWFORD

David S. Crawford
Health Sciences Librarian and