Simplifying licenses

Message from David Lewis:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Lewis, David W." <dlewis@iupui.edu>
To: "'liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu'" <liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 14:16:26 -0500

At Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI), we have been
concerned about the need to simplify the licensing of electronic content.
We have entered into an agreement with Faxon -- our primary serials vendor
-- to have them manage negotiations for electronic journals.  We have
created our own generic license (based on the Cox license) and have
contracted with Faxon to negotiate and process licenses on our behalf.
In this way we hope to greatly reduce the amount of time and effort we
expend on licensing activities.  Since the terms of the license are
already in effect pre-approved by us, we do not have to negotiate each
license individually.  In addition, Faxon has agreed to perform many of
the processing tasks required in the acquisitions of electronic journals.
Our view is that serials vendors can and should provide the same value in
the electronic world that they have in the print world.

For information on this arrangement, see
http://www.faxon.com/new/pr/pr97.htm.

David W. Lewis
Acting University Librarian
IUPUI University Library