Analogies, was :Re: We have met the enemy...

As a biologist, I think the relationship you have in mind is
"commensalism", where the two organisms live in continuously association
with each other, getting their food from the same source. (Both we and the
publishers get our funds from the money spent for the dissemination of
information for higher education and research.)

Such relationships tend to evolve towards "mutualism", where both parties
get benefits from the association. The classic example is cowbirds, which
live on the back of large mammals and eat the ticks from the skin, where
the mammals benefit by being freed of the parasites.

In some cases they evolve further into "symbiosis" where the two organism
become intimately associated and cannot live without each other, as in the
protozoa that live in termite intestines and digest the cellulose --
neither can survive independently.

Over eons, this can become like mitochondria, which were once free-living
micro-organisms before them became the part of our cells that produces
energy but shares metabolism with the rest of the cell. I leave your to
draw your own analogies, but I will just mention that these succeeding
stages are not reversible.

David Goodman, Princeton University Biology Library
dgoodman@princeton.edu            609-258-3235