Dow Jones Interactive Enterprise Master Agreement

Hi

The Australian Factiva office has offered us the DJI 'Enterprise
Agreement' as the license agreement for access to Dow Jones Interactive.
They say they do not have an academic equivalent for us to use.

This poses a couple of problems for us, and I am wondering if any N
American customers have been offered the same agreement, and have had any
better luck than us in persuading Factiva to amend the license.

Right now, we seem to have reached the end of the line with them, even
though we have been back and forwards to Factiva in the US and UK.

Here is the gist of what they won't budge on:

1.  Record keeping.  They want us to keep records re the number, location
and names of authorized users. They also want records kept on the storage
and distribution of licensed information to authorized users.  They
further want, subject to mutually agreeable confidentiality requirements,
the right to inspect these records 'no more than twice per year'.

2. Reporting: They want an initial report on:  i. the total number of
authorized users receiving licensed information, and, ii. a confirmation
that none of the authorized users have their principal place of business
outside of Australia. We also have to provide updates to the original
report within sixty (60) days of any material change in the above.

Factiva tell us that other academic libraries have agreed to these terms,
and that they are unlikely to enforce them, so don't worry. However, I
would be interested to know if this is the same agreement that N American
customers are asked to sign [esp new customers] and if so, whether you
have had any more luck than we in getting Factiva to amend their terms.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Regards,

Steve Cramond
Acting Research Services Librarian
University of Adelaide Library

eMail: stephen.cramond@adelaide.edu.au
Phone: +61 8 8303 3629
Fax: +61 8 8303 4369
Postal Address: University of Adelaide Library, Adelaide SA 5005,
Australia