RE: NEW VERSIONS OF MODEL LICENSES RELEASED

Diane,

thanks for responding.

We are all have lots of pressures on us from time, from other librarians
who don't understand why it takes so "loong" from people who want this
stuff now. And from content providers who don't seem to have a clue, or
have to go back to their lawyers too for every nuance.

Sometimes I think there are some very peculiar attorneys writing these
licenses in the the first place!

State law is the contract law for most of us in state institutions--and in
understanding it we are all entering a new area. Seems to me each state
probably needs the librarians and attorneys working in this arena to have
a statewide "standard" approach. --

Eleanor Cook, (Appalachian State here in NC) jsut emailed that suggestion.
I think she's right. Each state is slightly different (though the uniform
code helps somewhat) and it's a changing practices area as well.

Who would have thought we'd all have to work in contract law when we
started in this profession?

Wonder when the publisher and content providers who write these licenses
are going to speak up on the list??

They are creating these things and eating up their own staff and legal
time by having to respond to individual negotiations.

I wonder when the cost of license negotiations reaches a point where even
the providers realize there has to be a simpler way?

Chuck Hamaker