Re: Control of concurrent users

I would suppose that at least 3/4 of the users of any journal get there
from sources other than through the library's Web Page. I can't think of
_any_ time that I have accessed a journal through an institutional library
web page (unless the librarian was demonstrating the system). My access is
all done by links from a search of an abstract database, or from a
reference in another paper, or by just going to the journal's home page of
emailed Table of Contents.

I think librarians must get a skewed view of what people use
electronically, because they only "see" a small percentage of the users of
their subscriptions. Incidentally, this is a strong argument for the use
of "splash screens" which let the user know that the subscription is made
available because their library has subscribed on their behalf.

Peter B. Boyce    -   Senior Consultant for Electronic Publishing, AAS
email: pboyce@aas.org
Summer address:                                Winter: 4109 Emery Place,
33 York St., Nantucket, MA 02554        Washington, DC 20016
Phone:  508-228-9062                           202-244-2473