RE: Sage titles (access and licenses)

         To continue David's thought, I find it unjustified to pay for a
journal and then to again pay some agency to deliver it to me (especially
when I tried to figure out the OCLC approach).  Although I have
considerable faculty demand for Sage, not to the extent that they want to
pay hundreds of dollars extra for it (which tells me something about the
value added).

         I agree with David's caution about the problems of publishers
providing access only through sites that require users to pay additional
fees (as well as imposing other obstacles).  I would offer the alternative
of aggregators such as CatchWord, ingenta and High Wire.  In all
immodesty, my reviews of ingenta and CatchWord should be appearing in the
April issue of The Charleston Advisor.  I do not understand why libraries
would pay or jump through hoops when there are other alternatives. No
those alternatives aren't always to the same journals but a publisher that
expects me to pay a third party for access to their e-journals has a
position that means my users won't be accessing that publisher's
electronic versions for the most part.  (and guess what will be at the top
of the cancellation list when we have the choice of electronic journals
available with the print or print only titles because access to the
electronic version would cost a fair amount extra?)

K. Mulliner       Collection Development Coordinator & Asst. to Dean
          "Owner"  CORMOSEA & cap-sea Electronic Mailing Lists

Ohio University Libraries               Phone: 740-593-2707
Athens, OH 45701-2978, USA              FAX:    740-593-2708
mulliner@ohio.edu