Re: Comparing Publishers, was: Re: Cambridge Journals Online

Of course it's not just price.  But I am spending a substantial portion of
the trickle of new money to our campus.  We need it for scholarships,
salaries, and more journals, among other things. I feel I should guard
every dollar as if it were my own (an unfortunate number of them are).

I object to paying several (or even a couple) thousand dollars for
something which if done by another and equally "high-quality" publisher
might cost less.

High priced journals didn't come to be high priced because of their
superior quality or because they get more uses. They came to be high-
priced because we paid. I've already done that - in print - and I'm not
going there again - with the same players - for a bit yet.

This time I want to try first to back good reasonably priced publishers,
for-profit and not-for-profit, even if they are so out of it on the
electronic front that it takes some years to educate them.  And I'm
willing also to back products which have not yet achieved the level of
quality we need but are moving in that direction and can be expected to
remain at a reasonable price level (in dollars, not expressed as a
percentage of where they are now).

Margaret Landesman