Re: Costs of journals publishing

I would like to thank Kate Duff for drawing these figures to our
attention.

The lessons I draw from the figures below are these:

1. It is in the interests of both publishers and librarians to move away
from print as quickly as possible; dual provision is expensive. I happen
to think that electronic-only is in the best interests of users as well,
but they do not always see it that way yet!

2. A new relationship between publishers and librarians should be based
upon open discussion of pricing. Simply quoting a price without
information about what lies behind it leads to suspicion either of excess
profit-taking or of closing-down of choices for the purchaser. A
relationship which is based upon open-ness is far more likely to succeed.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Frederick J.Friend,
Director Scholarly Communication,
c/o Graduate School,
University College London,