Threaded Index

Re: SSN Use

North Dakota uses SSN as driver's license no.

Lila Pedersen
Library of the Health Sciences
University of North Dakota
Grand Forks, ND 58202-9002
701-777-3993  fax: 701-777-4790
lpederse@mail.med.und.nodak.edu

[MOD. NOTE:  Many do, I think.  Virginia, my previous state, surely
does it -- among others.]

At 11:15 AM 11/6/97 -0500, you wrote:
>This is getting even farther afield, but I wonder how many states use
>the SSN as the driver's license number.  I know the District of
>Clumbia does.  And, for all I know, they sell the lists to
>marketers...
>
>I have always worried about the SSN being on my license.  I guess the risk
>of theft is actually small. It is similar to sending credit card numbers
>actually had a problem is small, but the perception of risk as perceived by
>the public is enormous.
>
>Still, the privacy issue is an important matter.
>
>--Peter--
>
>Peter B. Boyce

http://www.library.yale.edu/liblicense
© 1996, 1997 Yale University Library