SV: Future of the "subscription model?"

Books is a difficult question, and I don't think we've seen where
they are heading. The scientific monograph has had problems for
decades; with readers getting used to e-books the time may be
ripe for an increase in OA monograph publishing. In Norway, most
monographs already come with some kind of APC; there isn't a
viable market so the author has to find funding for parts of the
costs. This means that in the humanities and social sciences the
monographs are better mentally prepared for an open access author
pay model, than are journals. That doesn't mean this has to
happen, but I am optimistic - though not for some years - 3-5?

If megajournals catch on, and the oa market share consequently
sees a sharp rise, this means that institutions just have to find
some mechanism for funding APCs. This, in turn, will reinforce
the transition to oa, and will create funding possibilities for
journals also outside the STM market.

We already recognize that our publication fund probably has to be
strengthened in order to meet increased demand from authors in
coming years, much due to PLoS ONE and its clones.

There definitely are some ifs in this ...

Best,
Jan Erik