Re: A Useful Clarification of Harvard's OA Fund

Phil

So, the way the fund is set up it is clear that in the specific
case of Harvard and Tetrahedron a move to a COPE-type environment
would not cost the library more.  Despite your calculation (which
did not reflect the reality of Harvard) and your attempt to show
that Darnton was wrong in suggesting that libraries could save
money.

And I know we're using shorthand, but let's be clear.  It is not
the case that 'HOPE pays nothing because it would require Harvard
authors to pay their own publication fees and the library can
keep its COPE funds untouched.'  HOPE pays nothing where
researchers have research grants that that they can call on to
pay publication fees.  (In the same way the library budgets
traditionally haven't been used for page charges, colour figure
charges, etc.  Authors pay their own charges - or, in reality,
they use research grants.)

And the aim of the COPE fund is not to hoard money, but to pay
for papers by unfunded researchers.  As one of the arguments
against input-side payments has been what do un-funded authors
do, this sounds rather sensible to me.

But that is all made much more elegantly and eloquently clear in
Stuart's post.

David