RE: French deal may break deadlock between Google and publishers

I am, speculating too, as I am not familiar with the detail of
the agreement between Hachette and Google.  However, just because
US publishers have struck deals with Google does not mean that
there is no new ground to be broken in other jurisdictions.

One of the differences lies in moral rights - droits d'auteurs -
which exists in every European jurisdiction, and was really
invented in France. Authors have rights under European copyright
laws which cannot be simply ridden over by publishers, whereas no
such rights exist under US law (except for rights in
photographs).  It is likely that Google endeavored to use the
sort of agreement it had already used with US publishers, only to
find that it would not be acceptable under French jurisdiction.

Of course, Hachette was also acting to ensure that its own
legitimate IP rights were not going to be compromised.

John Cox
Managing Director
John Cox Associates Ltd
Rookwood, Bradden