Re: Royal Society Endorses Immediate Green OA Self-Archiving

No comment about the Royal Society's practices, but perhaps a
listmember can assist in the origin of the phrase "the side of
the angels."  My understanding is that the phrase was uttered by
Benjamin Disraeli in a speech in which he challenged Darwin's
theory (law?) of evolution.  To be on the side of the angels was
to oppose the idea that people descended from apes.  To be on the
side of the angels thus means to oppose science.

If I have my history wrong, I would like to be corrected.

If I am correct, however, it would be more appropriate for
Professor Harnad to say that the Royal Society was on the side of
the apes.

Joe Esposito